- NOAA Fisheries and the New England Fishery Management Council manage the silver hake fishery.
- Silver hake are managed and assessed as two stocks: The Gulf of Maine and Northern Georges Bank (northern stock) and the Southern Georges Bank and Mid-Atlantic (southern stock). The southern stock includes southern silver hake and offshore hake.
- Managed under the Northeast Multispecies Fishery Management Plan for Small Mesh Multispecies:
- Permitting requirements.
- A cap on the amount of groundfish bycatch that fishing vessels can take.
- Seasonal and spatial limitations throughout the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank on fishing with small mesh.
- Trip limits by mesh size and area.
- In-season trip limit reductions and catch monitoring help prevent excessive catches.
- The small-mesh multispecies fishery is managed primarily through a series of exemptions from the Northeast Multispecies Fishery Management Plan. Exempted fisheries allow vessels to fish for specific species, such as silver hake, in designated areas using mesh sizes smaller than the minimum mesh size allowed under the Regulated Mesh Area regulations.