- NOAA Fisheries and the New England Fishery Management Council manage the red hake fishery.
- Managed under the Northeast Multispecies Fishery Management Plan for Small Mesh Multispecies:
- Permitting requirements.
- A cap on the amount of groundfish bycatch that fishing vessels can take.
- Seasonal and spatial limitations on fishing with small mesh nets throughout the Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank.
- Trip limits by mesh size and area.
- In-season trip limit reductions and catch monitoring help prevent excessive catches.
- The small-mesh multispecies fishery is managed primarily through a series of exemptions from the Northeast Multispecies Fishery Management Plan. Exempted fisheries allow vessels to fish for specific species, such as red hake, in designated areas using mesh sizes smaller than the minimum mesh size allowed under the Regulated Mesh Area regulations.