- NOAA Fisheries and the New England Fishery Management Council manage the winter skate fishery.
- Managed under the Northeast Skate Complex Fishery Management Plan:
- Valid open access permit is required to catch, possess, transport, or sell skate.
- Annual catch limits for winter, little, clearnose, and rosette skates, as well as response measures if the catch limits are exceeded. Winter skates are the only species targeted for human consumption. Little skate is used as bait for lobster fisheries and clearnose and rosette skates are usually discarded.
- Fishermen are prohibited from retaining smooth (Gulf of Maine only), barndoor, and thorny skates.
- Trip limits.
- Fishermen and dealers must report their catch by species.
- Management measures in other fisheries also indirectly aid in the recovery of the overfished skate species and conserve the resource.