- NOAA Fisheries and the New England Fishery Management Council manage the white hake fishery.
- White hake is managed as a single stock in U.S. waters.
- White hake, along with other groundfish in New England waters, is managed under the Northeast Multispecies Fishery Management Plan, which includes:
- Permitting requirements for commercial vessels.
- Separate management measures for recreational vessels.
- Time/area closures to protect spawning fish and habitat.
- Annual catch limits based on best available science.
- An optional sector (catch share) program can be used for white hake and other groundfish species. The sector program allows fishermen to form harvesting cooperatives and work together to decide when, where, and how they harvest fish.