- NOAA Fisheries and the Pacific Fishery Management Council manage this fishery.
- Northern anchovies are managed under the Coastal Pelagic Species Fishery Management Plan:
- Monitored through landings data. If landings increase significantly, or exceed the annual catch limit, then managers may make management changes.
- Limits on the number and capacity of vessels in the fishery.
- Regulations to reduce bycatch.
- Federal management is coordinated with state fisheries management agencies so that regulations are consistent in state waters (within 3 miles of shore). All states follow federal regulations but some have additional regulations.