- NOAA Fisheries and the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council manage the Atlantic mackerel fishery.
- Managed under the Atlantic Mackerel, Squid, and Butterfish Fishery Management Plan:
- Mackerel are managed in federal waters. There are no state management measures for mackerel.
- Managed using annual catch limits allocated between the commercial and recreational fisheries.
- Managers monitor commercial catch on a weekly basis and will close the fisheries if the limits are reached before the fishing season is over.
- Fishermen must have a permit to harvest Atlantic mackerel.
- Managers limit the amount of available permits to control harvests.
- Under a limited access program, permits are issued to qualifying fishermen, dividing fishermen into three tiers based on their past participation in the fishery. This program is designed to reduce the fishing capacity of the mackerel fleet while allowing qualified vessels to continue fishing for mackerel at their historical or recent level of participation.